February 21 , 2004-- Atlanta, GA
USA Wildwater Team Committee Minutes 2/21/04
Minutes: USA Wildwater Committee Meeting - February 21, 2004.
John Pinyerd, Ben Sandiford, Chris Hipgrave, Tyler Dyer and Geoff
(No conference call)Tom Weir's last email was on the table
out reviewing old business, then 'gradually' shifted to new business.
* Review of last meeting in Atlanta Jan 17. Ben Sandiford approved
minutes from last meeting.
* Hipgrave mentions that Tom Wier has finished the '03 rankings.
Calhoun adds that the '02 final rankings were never posted on
Request to be allowed to compete at French Team Trials:
* Pinyerd- There has been no resistance to allowing Middy Tilghman
a one time bye from '04 trials. In fact there was a great deal
of support. [see attached letter from Dave Hammond, Simon Beardmore,
* The board votes unanimously to allow Middy a bye from attending
team trials in 2004 based on his completion of the following things.
* He finishes a respectable percentage off the French team members
at their team trials; consistent or better than that of U.S. team
member's performance against French team members in the recent
past (2003 World Cups).
* He agrees to race for the United States at World Championships
in Garmisch and at all 6 world cups in 2004 and share his acquired
training tips and knowledge with other US team members, and the
* Support of the top K-1's: As a matter of record, there was no
opposition to a bye for Middy and his fellow teammates strongly
supported him. The top k1s in the USA and those who would be taking
Middy's place were he not to qualify for the US team (agreed in
writing to grant Middy a bye): Andrew McEwan, Simon Beardmore,
Chris Hipgrave, Geoff Calhoun, Dave Hammond, Austin Krissoff,
Nate Krissoff, Shaun Smith, Nic Borst, and Tyler Dyer.
* This means that only 3 K1s will be selected at trials this year
for worlds, and 5 for the world cups.
* Pinyerd - suggested that we table discussing changing rules
of team's trial selection to no longer require racers to finish
both days be tabled for this years trials.. Item was once again
tabled until a later date.
* Pinyerd also suggested that team selection information be readily
available to athletes looking to compete. Hipgrave noted that
USACK bylaws are on USAWildwater.com, tucked away. Such and article
has now been posted on the website.
* Sandiford discussed racer participation and likelihood of fielding
full teams. Calhoun volunteers to contact Colorado crew to learn
their intensions of racing internationally
* USACK uniform proposal - $200 per uniform... committee not thrilled.
* Hipgrave still working with Layers inc. on getting team uniforms
for foreseeable future. No cost expected, as long as we 'send
them plenty of team photos'
* Ben Sandiford sets march 15 deadline for final yes/no on uniform
delivery to trials
* Hipgrave would bring uniforms, and they would be given out after
team selection is complete
* Someone suggested separate uniforms for world cup/worlds/can
ams? Committee votes against proposal
* Handoff from Beavers to Martin Bay complete
* Hipgrave/ Pinyerd reminded committee that website is worthless
unless athletes write articles and send them in to be posted.
Calhoun said he would write an article about his experiences on
the junior circuit, Kernville, and at Jr. Worlds. And suggested
the committee reach out more
* Sandiford asked for a progress report on the linking of usawildwater.com
to the new USACK website. There is communication, no progress
* Martin bay's new email address to deal with website related
items is email@example.com
- There is no sprint at Canadian nationals. There is a sprint
at us nationals
At large committee
* Review and listing of the at large candidates by Sandiford
* Pinyerd brought to vote the nominations of Chris Norbury (as
is customary for outgoing Chairman) Mike Beavers and Geoff Calhoun.
All passed unanimously
* Possible team mangers -Patty McCool (nominated by Tom Wier).
Discussion: McCool unsure about acting as team manager alone.
Sandiford agrees to share the job. Nomination for Patty McCool
as team manager passes unanimously.
* United - usack still using united to ship boats, may be new
costs. Hipgrave will look into costs of flying with boats on united
* British airways - report of British air not flying to USA because
of American Air marshals???
- possibility of losing insurance at usack sanctioned events because
of suit against ACA regarding tree limb falling on spectator at
a race. BIG PROBLEM
ICF - Sandiford
suggests drafting a letter to ICF Chair asking for accountability
of actions on several issues, including the possible US bid for
world championships in 2008. Committee agrees. Sandiford will
* Sandiford brings up questionable and unacceptable athlete behavior
at international races in the past and asked for a code of conduct
for athletes representing the USA
* Hipgrave adds that latest article states athletes must be aware
of ICF rules.
* ICF wildwater rules are posted on the ICF website under wildwater.
* Hipgrave will pull together an athlete agreement prior to team
Garmisch world championships Ger. - race dates are may 20-23
* '98 hotel not available
* Sandiford suggested other placed to stay, including the military
* Sandiford will deal with lodging in garmisch, wants to know
how many days in advance of nonstop to secure lodging (7?) and
asked athletes to make known their flight plans ASAP
* Sandiford brought up problems with people 'crashing on people's
floor' stressed that each team member must either stay with the
team or camp separately.
* . Final night in garmisch would be Sunday night may 23. then
team would leave for Slovenia
World cup 1+2 - Bovec Slo. On Soca river may 29-30 (sat sun)
* Hipgrave described good hotel from last int. race there hotel
canid - $40/night/room 2/3 beds /room :-) can we get anything
* Calhoun mentioned that US slalom team coach Silvan Poberaj had
offered to set him up in Bovec.
* Sandiford assigned Calhoun to work with Silvan and secure cheap
lodging in Slovenia
World cup 3-4 Karlovy -Vary, Czech. Tepla River June 5-6 (sat
5-6 Moutatahl Switz June 10+12 (thurs/sat)
will contact race organizers and committees of all 6 world cups
and work on getting applications and such
champions in '05?
* Hipgrave suggested crowing separate champions of sprint and
classic races as well as (or instead of) a combined champion in
* Calhoun thought this would attract more sprinters and slalom
athletes to wildwater but cautioned it might also create a rift.
* Issue was tabled
was set for Saturday April 17 at team trials in West Virginia
Pinyerd is Chair of the U.S. Wildwater Committee and a C-1 Wildwater
racer living in Atlanta. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.