Birthplace: Bristol, UK
Current Residence: Paymyra, PA
Occupation: Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Penn State College of Medicine
Current school/Alma matter: Undegrad at University of Glasgow, Ph.D at University of Dundee, both in Scotland.
Family: Dad, sister
Personal Website: boaterbloater.blogspot.com
How I started paddling wildwater:
I was really into Polo when I went to University in Glasgow, but they were much more into slalom and wildwater, and had
a lot of boats, so I started doing that for fun. I think my second wildwater race was the BUSA Championships where I
snapped the nose off of a Delphin at the Serpentís Tail. Once I moved to Dundee I got my own boat and Gordon Chisholm really
helped me out with training. When I moved to the States I started training with (well, behind) Andrew McEwan. From 2002-2008
I didnít really paddle at all as I got my lab up and going at Penn State, but now Iím out here having fun again.
The class(es) you race: K1, occasionally (very) C2
National results (team trials and nationals)
- Third in Western Team Trials 2000
- Sixth in Team Trials 2001
- 3rd and 5th in National Rankings (2000 & 2001, respectively)
Years on US Wildwater National Team: 2
I love to road bike and cross country ski when I can.
- Marital Status: Firmly attached.
- Kids: I have 5 graduate students, they must count, surely.
- Height: 5' 5"
- Weight: Going down all the time (see blog)
- Music: John Butler Trio, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, DMB, Thievery Corporation.
- Food Favorites: Chicken Tikka Masala and Naan bread
- What you do to get ready for a race: Try to relax, listening to some Marley often helps
- What you do after a race: Over analyze what I could have done better, or alternatively just eat, rehydrate and chill
with the other folks
- Boat (Make/model):Zastera Composites Corvette and Savage 2000, ZBS Waka, Nick Pink Obsession I , Wavehopper, Queen Mary C2
- Paddle: Zastera Rasmussens
- Helmet: Wildwater, or Ace
- Spraydeck: Ras Dex, Zastera (rubber & All-in one)
- Life Jacket: Kogg, Stohlquist
- Paddling Clothes: Billabong
- Shoe: NRS Kickers
- Car: Honda CR-V
- Favorite energy bar/food: Luna Bars (they are too good to be just for women)
- Other outdoor gear: Lemond Victoire and Bianchi Campione DíItalia Road bikes, Kona Cinder Cone mountain bike, a
flatwater K1 and a couple of K2ís, a Reflex Barcelona slalom boat and a Prijon Hurricane (the shortest boat I own).