February 26, 2009 -- Canvas, WV
The North American Junior Olympics Festival 2009 is scheduled for Ontario, Canada on July 4-12.
The Junior Olympics are events for aspiring cadet and promising junior paddlers.
In order to qualify for any (and all) of the Junior Olympic events one can qualify in either wildwater/downriver,
slalom or freestyle. Those who qualify can participate in all of these events at the Junior Olympics.
The following USA Wildwater events are qualifying races:
- 2008 Junior Wildwater Team
- 2009 Glacier Breaker (NC) - March 1
- 2009 US Open & Eastern Wildwater Junior Team Trials (NC) - March 28-29
- 2009 Webster Weekend Downriver Race - April 4
- 2009 Cedar River race (WA) - April 4-5
- 2009 Western Junior Team Trials (CO) - April 25-26
- 2009 Northwest Wiltewater Championships - WKC Slamon la Sac (WA) - June 18-19
- 2009 FIBArk Wildwater Series (CO) - June 21
Those youths who qualify and wish to go to Ontario for the JO Festival must at that point be individual members of USACK.
Youths qualify in one of 4 age group categories using the ICF/USACK age group definitions:
- Cub Cadet: (BD 1999-1997) (three years in this grouping, the others are 2-year groupings)
- Cadet: (BD 1996-1995)
- Junior 15-16: (BD 1994-1993)
- Junior:(BD 1992-1991)
They also qualify in any one or more of the classes which are singles kayak for men (K1-M) or women (K1-W), singles
canoe for men (C1-M) or women (C1-W), and doubles canoe for men (C2-M), women (C2-W), or mixed gender (C2-Mixed).
Qualification is for a specific boat class, kayak or canoe, and will apply for any or all of the events in slalom,
wildwater, or freestyle.
The present system used for qualifying is as follows: In the kayak classes, the top four not previously qualified
will qualify. In singles canoe the top three will qualify and in doubles canoe the top two.
Click here for more about the Festival and
stayed tuned to USAWildwater.com for updates.
You can also contact David Kurtz, National Chairman USA Canoe/Kayak Junior Olympics Program, at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-237-7727 or 814-222-0052.